I recently made a post about believing in yourself but the truth is that believing in yourself is actually one of the most difficult things to do in life. It is difficult to believe in yourself when you keep failing at things, losing at things you desire or when you feel that you are not good enough. Imagine how much easier it would be if you had someone holding your hands up when you are discouraged. Imagine if you had your own personal life coach with you every moment of the day, helping you to make the right decisions and offering you a way to retrace your steps when you derail.
Here are 7 major things I wish someone would tell me. Okay, well it started off at 7 but became 15! I guess the number of things I wish someone would tell me are inexhaustible but these are some of them.
1. You can achieve anything you set your mind to achieve: I remember those moments my mother used to say to me repeatedly as a child, how much I could achieve if only I set my mind to it. I heard it so much that it almost became annoying to me. Now, I realize how true and how right it was.
2. You have succeeded before, you can still do it again: Most times, when faced with a new challenge, it is difficult to remember that I have ever succeeded at anything. I have to continually remind myself that I can do it again and again.
3. Criticisms are not an indictment of your person, they are of your character or your work. Learn to look at it outside of yourself: Sometimes when someone criticizes something that I did, I immediately assume that the person means I am not good at that thing. The result is that I feel so bad that I don’t even bother to try again.
4. Someone admires you even when you don’t believe so: There are so many days when it is so difficult to believe this but no matter what, someone will always desire to be like you.
5. Mistakes can be corrected and forgotten: Ahah this! Have you ever felt that one mistake is all it takes to spoil everything? I wish I didn’t have to take myself too seriously all the time but to know that a mistake can be corrected and it can be forgotten.
6. Let go of your fears, they are the shackles holding you back: I wonder who termed them phobias! There is a name for the fear of almost anything. Sometimes I’m afraid to try just because I am afraid of failing and sometimes I am afraid of succeeding because I fear I may not be able to handle the success…oooh..it’s very exhausting. Sometimes I have to remind myself to let go.
7. Setbacks are only temporary, that’s why they are called setbacks: I remember learning about the law of inertia and thinking that nothing can move forward without moving back a bit. Would someone just remind me of that when next I face a set back?
8. Every minute of the day counts: Yeah, even the minutes I spend daydreaming or watching movies endlessly. I need to become more productive.
9. Your past does not control your future: I need someone to remind me all the time that who I was yesterday doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with who I’ll become tomorrow.
10. Don’t worry about what other people are thinking about you: I’m not a mind reader. I can never know exactly what people think about me so why do I bother to wonder if they like me or not? Besides what does it matter? I need to learn to stop second-guessing people
11. Try being honest with yourself…and others: How much simpler my life would be if I could learn to be honest with myself and others.
12. Stop trying to impress others, they will never be impressed enough: If we could sometimes evaluate our relationships with others we would be amazed how much we do in order to impress people we don’t even know. The funny thing is that they will never be impressed enough.
13. Being special means being different. You mustn’t be like everyone else. It’s okay to be different: If I’m not different then I cannot be special. I need to learn not to be afraid to stand out in the crowd.
14. Don’t judge yourself too harshly. Let others do the judging and you can choose to listen or ignore them: If I were my own judge, I would probably be incarcerated for life by now. I need to stop judging myself too harshly.
15. Finally, can someone please remind me of how special, how beautiful and how unique I am? lol…thanx
I hope this will prove useful to you too.